So I just finished Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. For the most part, I
enjoyed this book. It was a good story, and I think a timely one (it
was published in 2016, so I’m 3 years late). From the back of the book:
“Ruth Jefferson is a labor and delivery nurse at a Connecticut hospital with more than twenty years' experience. During her shift, Ruth begins a routine checkup on a newborn, only to be told a few minutes later that she's been reassigned to another patient. The parents are white supremacists and don't want Ruth, who is African American, to touch their child. The hospital complies with their request, but the next day, the baby goes into cardiac distress while Ruth is alone in the nursery. Does she obey orders or does she intervene?
Ruth hesitates before performing CPR and, as a result, is charged with a serious crime. Kennedy McQuarrie, a white public defender, takes her case but gives unexpected advice: Kennedy insists that mentioning race in the courtroom is not a winning strategy. Conflicted by Kennedy's counsel, Ruth tries to keep life as normal as possible for her family—especially her teenage son—as the case becomes a media sensation. As the trial moves forward, Ruth and Kennedy must gain each other's trust, and come to see that what they've been taught their whole lives about others—and themselves—might be wrong.
With incredible empathy, intelligence, and candor, Jodi Picoult tackles race, privilege, prejudice, justice, and compassion—and doesn't offer easy answers. Small Great Things is a remarkable achievement from a writer at the top of her game.”
“Ruth Jefferson is a labor and delivery nurse at a Connecticut hospital with more than twenty years' experience. During her shift, Ruth begins a routine checkup on a newborn, only to be told a few minutes later that she's been reassigned to another patient. The parents are white supremacists and don't want Ruth, who is African American, to touch their child. The hospital complies with their request, but the next day, the baby goes into cardiac distress while Ruth is alone in the nursery. Does she obey orders or does she intervene?
Ruth hesitates before performing CPR and, as a result, is charged with a serious crime. Kennedy McQuarrie, a white public defender, takes her case but gives unexpected advice: Kennedy insists that mentioning race in the courtroom is not a winning strategy. Conflicted by Kennedy's counsel, Ruth tries to keep life as normal as possible for her family—especially her teenage son—as the case becomes a media sensation. As the trial moves forward, Ruth and Kennedy must gain each other's trust, and come to see that what they've been taught their whole lives about others—and themselves—might be wrong.
With incredible empathy, intelligence, and candor, Jodi Picoult tackles race, privilege, prejudice, justice, and compassion—and doesn't offer easy answers. Small Great Things is a remarkable achievement from a writer at the top of her game.”
The death of the infant happens quite early in the story, and the majority of it is focused on the trial.
I’ll
be honest, I’m going to criticize this book a lot, but I really did
enjoy it. One night I said I was only going to read for 20 minutes, but
it was so gripping I read for 2 hours instead. The plot is very engaging, and the writing is good. There were a couple things I didn't like: that each chapter switched between perspectives of one of the main characters, and that it was a white woman writing about racism.
I thought it was an interesting choice, and one that I didn’t really
like, that some of the chapters were told from the perspective of
different characters besides Ruth. I’m usually not very impressed with
perspective jumps, whether POV or time jumps. POV jumps I mind less, but
I’m not crazy about them. This one I don’t think I would have minded,
but it often told the same events from two or three different characters
perspectives, which got a little repetitive. It felt unnecessary, and
that we could have just understood the characters thoughts from their
reactions, without having to repeat the entire scene with their thought
process.
But the biggest
issue I had with the perspective switch was really the way it was done
to humanize the character of the white supremacist. It showed his tragic
backstory and the love he found through his beliefs. I personally was
torn on this. In some ways I think it’s important to humanize people so
that we can see they’re not monsters and to be careful if we see people
turning into them. On the other hand, it felt a lot like giving them a
voice, when they really shouldn’t have one.
The
book did clearly show that those beliefs were wrong. It also did a lot
with general white people’s racism. The fact that as white people, we
are all racist, and it’s something that although we might not like to
talk, or even think, about it, it’s something we should confront. The
author did a great job in asserting this, but at certain points in the
novel I couldn’t help but think “wow this was written by a white lady.”
It reminded me of the writing advice “it’s good to write books about
marginalized people, even if you’re not, but if you’re not, don’t write
about the marginalization.” At some points it did seem a little white
savior-ish, but thankfully that was somewhat resolved and Kennedy, the white woman, stepped back.
There
was a lot of Kennedy stopping to consider how she interacted
differently with the world than people of color do. She spent some time
near the middle of the book where she didn’t listen to Ruth when she
talked about racism, but towards the end of the book she began
listening, which was both good and bad. She spend a good amount of time
just depending on Ruth to teach her. However it was an improvement from
believing she knew about racism, and it did force her to continue on and
confront it in herself and learn apart from Ruth.
There
was a twist at the very end of the book that I absolutely did not like.
I don’t want to reveal it and spoil you, however it felt very forced.
It seemed like she didn’t want to leave with characters you disliked, so
she tried to induce change and it felt very inorganic. Click below for spoilers.
So the 'twist' was that it turned out the white supremacist mother whose baby died was actually half black and her mother had run away and that was what caused her father to hate black people and teach that hate to his daughter. So when his daughter found out she was mixed, she had a breakdown and ended up killing herself. Her husband, the father of the baby who died, instead learned that his white supremacist ways were wrong, and went on to do guest lectures at prison to talk about how white supremacy was wrong. I think it's cool to show reformation and show that it is possible, but I thought this was a sloppy way to do it. That kind of change usually takes a lot of effort, which Picoult mostly skimmed over, and having the wife be white-passing mixed and kill herself just seemed sad.
That
being said, I do think she did a fairly good job. She did a lot of
research and it really shows. I do think this is an good book to read. But I
think where it really excels is as a book for those white people who
don’t think they are racist, as a way to ease into thinking about this.
They can be spoon fed it by a white author, but still have get the
knowledge. And who knows, maybe they’ll branch out from there. The
author did leave a bibliography in the back of the book, maybe they can
read more about racism today 😉
No comments:
Post a Comment