`This week I finished 3 books! 2 audiobooks and one ebook. I read both of the books I mentioned I had started in my last check in: A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner (book 4 of the Queen’s Thief series) and Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery (as an audiobook). Then, I checked out the next book in the Anne series, Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery (also as an audiobook), and finished it too!

These are all middle books in series, so there will be spoilers for the previous books (and these ones) in my discussion.
Reviews below the cut! (mobile users look out for the cut!)
3/5 stars. I like the series, but this book itself wasn’t very good
Anne
of Avonlea was so fun! I love these books that just show snapshots of
quaint small town life. In this one, it’s the continuation of the first
book, where Anne finished college and is planning to return to Avonlea
and teach. She can’t go off to college because Marilla’s eyesight is
failing, so she stays close to home. The stories were so cute that it
made me want to be a teacher. I loved it! Also, Marilla’s cousin dies,
leaving behind 6-year-old twins that Marilla (and Anne) take in. They’re
very fun new characters. The family stuff, and the connections and
friendships were beautifully fleshed out and felt real. It really made
me wish for a simpler time, especially in this year of craziness. I
still really love the varied age friendships. Anne befriends a new
neighbor, and a lonely women in the next town, both of which are older
adults (40s, while Anne is 16-18 in this book). She also befriends one
of her students who is 10 at the start of the book. I really love how
important having relationships with people of different ages is in these
books, because it feels like currently, intergenerational friendships
are looked upon extremely poorly, when in fact they’re really important.
5/5 stars. This book made me excited to go to work! (I only listen to audiobooks at work)
Anne
of the Island was also very sweet. Things look up for Anne, and she’s
able to go to university! She starts attracting attention, and boys
start to propose to her, which is shocking to her most of the time -
they’re not nearly as romantic as she had imagined! Gilbert Blythe even
proposed, and she turns him down, which ruins their friendship! She has a
two year romance with another man, but then when he proposes, she turns
him down, to the surprise of both of them! Several of her friends from
home also get married, and she’s worried and feeling lonely. Then when
Gilbert gets typhoid fever and might die, Anne actually realizes how
much she cares for him. But there are rumors he’s engaged to another
girl! This book was a lot more dramatic than the previous books, things
feel like they’re starting to get more serious as Anne grows up. I have
the next book on hold at my library, and can’t wait to check it out!
4/5 stars. I can’t wait to see what happens with Anne next!
I also started a new book, Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake (3rd in the Three Dark Crowns series)

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
No comments:
Post a Comment