This week I’ll be talking about Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery. I mentioned I was listening to this as an audiobook in last week’s check-in.

I’m not normally a big audiobook person, but I’m working a weird shift by myself at work, so it gets pretty boring and quiet. So I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts and decided to throw some audiobooks in there too!
Review below the cut!
I
loved this book. I think Anne Shirley is an ADHD (inattentive type)
icon. She reminds me a lot of me as a kid, always getting in trouble for
daydreaming and forgetting to do things. I think that Anne, despite not
being named as having ADHD, is the best ADHD-in-girls representation
I’ve read. I had read part of this book as a kid, but never finished it
(I don’t know why, it’s great!) So the first half of the book was
familiar, but the end was new and exciting!
This book has been out
for so long, but just in case you haven’t heard of it, a quick summary:
Marilla & Matthew Cuthbert own a farm on Prince Edward Island. They
realized they’re getting too old to properly take care of the farm, so
send for an orphan boy who will be able to work for them. Instead, they
get Anne - imaginative, headstrong, mannerless Anne. Anne is 11 and so
glad she’s finally getting adopted, and is heartbroken to find out she
wasn’t what they wanted. Marilla wants to return her, but Matthew thinks
they should give her a chance. And so Anne gets a home and we get to
see how she grows into it. She constantly gets into trouble and gets out
of it, and it’s a really fun story.
I normally don’t love older books, because sometimes the language is annoying, but this one had a good cross of having good reasons for it (Anne is just Like That) and being recent enough that it’s not too out there. I know it’s technically a kids book, but this one really felt less like a kids book than modern kids books. This one felt like it had a child main character but really was for people of all ages.
★★★★★ I give this book 5/5 stars. I’m mad at my past self for not reading it!
I’m still reading the Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin. It’s not a terribly long book, but it has very long chapters so I feel like I have to commit to reading it for a bit each time I pick it up. I also started a new audiobook, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott!

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
No comments:
Post a Comment