Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Book Check-In 9/29/20

 It’s been 2 weeks since my last check-in, and I’ve only finished one book. Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott (as an audiobook).

I was given a copy of this as a little girl, that I think was an abridged version. I think something about the description turned me off so I never read it. I’ve started listening to audiobooks at work, and I’m liking listening to classics that I otherwise probably wouldn’t read.

Thoughts below the cut!

I liked this a lot! I don’t think I would’ve liked it when I got it as a gift as a kid, so I’m glad I waited. I love Jo as a character. Loyal to her family and wants to be independent so acts masculine in a family of all girls. She leads her family to befriend their neighbor who lives with his grandfather. It follows their adventures and sorrows and joys and is really just a lovely story. It doesn’t have a super structured plot like newer books do, it’s just about the family as time passes and the girls grow up. SPOILERS AHEAD, SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON’T WANT SPOILERS. I was very surprised that Beth just straight up died. It was handled in a really interesting way, with it being talked about before the actual event occurred, so it wasn’t a surprise. I think because it wasn’t a surprise, I didn’t find it as sad as I normally find character deaths to be. I thought Jo was a cool character that could be read as aromantic, but then the last like 3 chapters change that where she sees Laurie getting married and gets sad that she’ll be lonely so gets hitched really fast. It felt a little underdeveloped to me and I know it’s halfway the time, but I would have loved for her to stay single.

3.5/5 stars. Glad I finally got around to reading it!

I’m still reading The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin, and have also started listening to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment