Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Book Check-In 10/27/20

 This week I read The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

It’s the second in a series, and I talk about the first book here. Thoughts (including spoilers!) below the cut

I like this story a lot. It’s a lot of fun. Eugenides is a very interesting and lovable character. The story begins with him getting into a spot of trouble with the Queen of Attolia - he’s been caught snooping in her castle. Eugenides - as an important member of Eddis and a god-touched, can’t be killed or tortured without bringing harm to Attolia. So the Queen of Attolia instead cuts off his hand, saying it’s a traditional punishment for thieves. Then she returns him to Eddis. The first half of the book is him dealing with his trauma and adjusting to being an amputee. The second book is him getting back up to his mischief. This book is a lot more political intrigue than the first, and I was really into it. We see more of the ancient Greek/Roman coded lands, and the worldbuilding continues to be interesting. This one feels a lot less fantastical than the first book, while we still know the gods & goddesses are real, there’s no quest to steal something from them. There are wars and strategy and a diplomat from across the sea who wants to conquer, if only he can get an invitation to land... Eugenides is sly and slippery and so much fun. I was shocked and delighted by the way he made things work.

5/5 stars. This one was so exciting! I couldn’t put it down

Because it was so fun, I immediately started the next book in the series: The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner. I’m also still working on Outlander by (only 4 hours left, out of 32!!!)

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment