Since my last check in,
I read 4 books! 2 were rereads, and the other 2 were new. I finished
Come Tumbling Down by Seanan McGuire, read The Memory Police by Yoko
Ogawa, as well as Alanna the First Adventure and In the Hands of the
Goddess by Tamora Pierce.
Come Tumbling Down is the most recent in the Wayward Children series and continues that adventure. I really liked it and was satisfied, but I’m sad that it’s the most recent (published this year!). The books in the series have been coming out 1 per year so I can’t expect another till next year at the earliest. I’ll be reading some of Seanan McGuire’s other series to satisfy me while I wait :) I hope the next Wayward Children book focuses more on Cora. I really like her.
The Memory Police was totally different in tone than all the other books I read this week. It was described in the blurb as “Orwellian” and I think that’s fair. It also reminded me somewhat of the Giver (by Lois Lowry). On this island, things disappear, but not just that things get lost, they are taken away in its entirety, and people forget what meaning those objects once had to them. Some people are able to remember these objects, and if they are found to have the ability to remember, they are taken away by the Memory Police. It was kind of creepy and really good. I couldn’t put it down. It was originally published in Japanese and just last year was translated to English, which is kind of a bummer because there’s not much info out there about it. It had a kind of weird ending and didn’t totally satisfy me, and when I went looking for more info I couldn’t find any. Even with that, I still would recommend this book, it’s very different from other things I’ve read.
And as I mentioned in my last check in, I started the Alanna series. When I do my Tortall reread (when I’m feeling stressed or nostalgic or both) I start with the Beka Cooper series and it launches you right into the Alanna quartet. I’ll be honest, the Alanna books aren’t my favorite of the Tortall books, I think they’re the most similar to other books, girl dresses as boy to become a knight story, and it doesn’t feel as unique. But they are also the first written chronologically, so I give them a pass. The later books have more varied stories and characters that are really fun, but Alanna is present through those later books so I like to include her in my rereads.
I’m currently reading The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce, which is one of my favorites out of the Alanna saga, as well as All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which my dad has been recommending to me for literally a year. So far I’m liking it more than expected
Come Tumbling Down is the most recent in the Wayward Children series and continues that adventure. I really liked it and was satisfied, but I’m sad that it’s the most recent (published this year!). The books in the series have been coming out 1 per year so I can’t expect another till next year at the earliest. I’ll be reading some of Seanan McGuire’s other series to satisfy me while I wait :) I hope the next Wayward Children book focuses more on Cora. I really like her.
The Memory Police was totally different in tone than all the other books I read this week. It was described in the blurb as “Orwellian” and I think that’s fair. It also reminded me somewhat of the Giver (by Lois Lowry). On this island, things disappear, but not just that things get lost, they are taken away in its entirety, and people forget what meaning those objects once had to them. Some people are able to remember these objects, and if they are found to have the ability to remember, they are taken away by the Memory Police. It was kind of creepy and really good. I couldn’t put it down. It was originally published in Japanese and just last year was translated to English, which is kind of a bummer because there’s not much info out there about it. It had a kind of weird ending and didn’t totally satisfy me, and when I went looking for more info I couldn’t find any. Even with that, I still would recommend this book, it’s very different from other things I’ve read.
And as I mentioned in my last check in, I started the Alanna series. When I do my Tortall reread (when I’m feeling stressed or nostalgic or both) I start with the Beka Cooper series and it launches you right into the Alanna quartet. I’ll be honest, the Alanna books aren’t my favorite of the Tortall books, I think they’re the most similar to other books, girl dresses as boy to become a knight story, and it doesn’t feel as unique. But they are also the first written chronologically, so I give them a pass. The later books have more varied stories and characters that are really fun, but Alanna is present through those later books so I like to include her in my rereads.
I’m currently reading The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce, which is one of my favorites out of the Alanna saga, as well as All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which my dad has been recommending to me for literally a year. So far I’m liking it more than expected
No comments:
Post a Comment