This week I read 7 books!!! Absolutely bonkers. It was kind of a bad
week so I was definitely reading books to escape. My grandfather caught
COVID-19 about a week ago and died this morning. We’ve all been very
stressed about it so I was reading especially a lot. This week I
finished The Woman Who Rides Like a Man, Lioness Rampant, Wild Magic,
Wolf Speaker, Emperor Mage, and The Realm of the Gods, all by Tamora
Pierce, as well as All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
So I finished the Alanna series, and then the whole Immortals series! The Woman Who Rides Like a Man is easily my favorite of the Alanna series, I think it diverges the most and is the most unique, has the most character growth. Like I talked about last week in my check in, The Alanna series isn’t my favorite because it feels the most similar to other books. In this one, she’s in a different part of the nation which makes it a little more exciting, it’s your stereotypical fantasy desert set up, but it’s still a little more fun than typical fantasy Europe. Alanna spends time learning about herself and trying new things. The other books it feels like she’s more guided, but this one it seems like it’s more her choices guiding the story.
I always under-rate the Immortals series before I read it. I for some reason when I think about it, remember not loving it, but then I reread it and it’s so great! I think because I read in story-chronological order (Beka ➡ Alanna ➡ Daine ➡ Kel ➡ Aly) and I’m always so excited to get to Kel, the Immortals series (Daine) seems like it’s an obstacle I have to get to before I can get to my fave. But it’s actually a great series!!! I like this series more than Alanna because it feels a lot more unique in terms of fantasy, even though in broad strokes, it is pretty common ideas. I think it’s a really fun and exciting story, and I like that each book is a separate thread that come together for the plot of the final book.
Like I mentioned in my last check in, I mostly read All the Light We Cannot See because my dad kept nagging me about it. Everytime I told him about whichever book I was reading, he would ask me when I was gonna read All the Light We Cannot See. I was kind of hesitant for a while because my taste is pretty different from his, but I finally caved and borrowed it from the library. I was surprised at how much I liked it! It weaves the story of two different people in WWII (including the lead up to the war). One is an orphan from Germany who wants to get out and change his life and become an engineer. The other is a French girl who loses her sight when she’s pretty young. Their lives become intertwined in ways that you don’t fully realize until the end of the story. It’s a really lovely book.
I am currently reading First Test by Tamora Pierce, first in the Protector of the Small Quartet (my favorite!). I’ve also started A Darker Shade of Magic. This one was recommended to me by my sister in law.
As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
So I finished the Alanna series, and then the whole Immortals series! The Woman Who Rides Like a Man is easily my favorite of the Alanna series, I think it diverges the most and is the most unique, has the most character growth. Like I talked about last week in my check in, The Alanna series isn’t my favorite because it feels the most similar to other books. In this one, she’s in a different part of the nation which makes it a little more exciting, it’s your stereotypical fantasy desert set up, but it’s still a little more fun than typical fantasy Europe. Alanna spends time learning about herself and trying new things. The other books it feels like she’s more guided, but this one it seems like it’s more her choices guiding the story.
I always under-rate the Immortals series before I read it. I for some reason when I think about it, remember not loving it, but then I reread it and it’s so great! I think because I read in story-chronological order (Beka ➡ Alanna ➡ Daine ➡ Kel ➡ Aly) and I’m always so excited to get to Kel, the Immortals series (Daine) seems like it’s an obstacle I have to get to before I can get to my fave. But it’s actually a great series!!! I like this series more than Alanna because it feels a lot more unique in terms of fantasy, even though in broad strokes, it is pretty common ideas. I think it’s a really fun and exciting story, and I like that each book is a separate thread that come together for the plot of the final book.
Like I mentioned in my last check in, I mostly read All the Light We Cannot See because my dad kept nagging me about it. Everytime I told him about whichever book I was reading, he would ask me when I was gonna read All the Light We Cannot See. I was kind of hesitant for a while because my taste is pretty different from his, but I finally caved and borrowed it from the library. I was surprised at how much I liked it! It weaves the story of two different people in WWII (including the lead up to the war). One is an orphan from Germany who wants to get out and change his life and become an engineer. The other is a French girl who loses her sight when she’s pretty young. Their lives become intertwined in ways that you don’t fully realize until the end of the story. It’s a really lovely book.
I am currently reading First Test by Tamora Pierce, first in the Protector of the Small Quartet (my favorite!). I’ve also started A Darker Shade of Magic. This one was recommended to me by my sister in law.
As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
No comments:
Post a Comment