This week I read Lalani of the Distant Sea, by Erin Entrada Kelly, which I mentioned I had started in my last check-in. (I also read Ouran High School Host Club Vol. 1 & 2, but won’t be talking about those.)

Review below the cut!
This
book was so good! It’s a kids’ book inspired by Filipino folklore and
is absolutely enchanting. Lalani grew up on an island hearing stories
about the island to the north that is a perfect land, with lush plants
that can heal any disease and music and happiness. In contrast, her
island is full of suffering. The islands are divided by a fog covered
sea, and though sailors are sent to try and reach this idyllic land,
they never return. When Lalani’s mother gets sick with a disease that
has no cure, Lalani decides she has no choice but to try and cross the
sea, which the strongest men from her island, including her father, have
all failed at. It’s a really lovely story about being brave and
standing up to do what must be done, from multiple characters. There’s
lovely friendships and interesting characters. There were parts I teared
up at, and I was delighted by the ending. It at no point felt cliched
or rushed, which are my two most common complaints for kids’ books. I
loved the fantasy in this story. I don’t know how strongly it’s rooted
in Filipino folklore, because I’m not very familiar with Filipino
folklore. But I really loved the fantastical creatures in this.
5/5 stars. A really fun quick read. I’d recommend this to adults and children alike.
I am continuing to read Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli. It’s thinking book, so it’s a little slow going, but I am interested in it.

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
No comments:
Post a Comment