This week I read Sal & Gabi Fix the Universe, by Carlos Hernandez, the one book I mentioned I started in my last check in. I’ve been doing a lot of reading for work so less reading for fun :/

Review below the cut!
This is the sequel to a book I read a month ago (I talked about it here).
It’s part of Rick Riordan Presents, where Rick Riordan steps back and
promotes books from authors of different cultures that give
representation to middle grade kids. I like this series a lot because
it’s double representation, Sal is Cuban, and has diabetes. Like I
mentioned for the first book, I don’t recall reading other books where
having diabetes is a big part of it, so that was exciting to see! In
this book, Sal’s dad creates a machine that will seal up all the holes
in the universe that Sal creates when hopping or pulling things through
the multiverse. But a Gabi from another universe comes through to warn
him that if all the holes are sealed, it will destroy this universe,
because that’s what happened to her universe. Sal wants to save his
universe, but he’s not sure who to trust.
I liked this one a little less than the first book. This one felt a little more childish than the first, a lot more poop jokes and such. Which I suppose is to be expected for a middle grade book, but it definitely ramped up in this novel. It had a little less of the Cuban culture than the first book, but it was still highlighted. It was still a lot of fun, I liked the characters and the plot. I found the ending a little unsatisfying, but once I recontextualized and remembered this is for kids, I was okay with it.
I’d give it 3/5 stars. Still good, but not as good as the first. Definitely still strongly recommend to middle school kids.
I also started another book this week (and am about halfway through already!) The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
No comments:
Post a Comment