Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Book Check In 5/12/20

I’ve given up all semblance that I’ll post these on Sunday. It’s COVID time, days have no meaning, time is an illusion.

That being said, I’m supposed to go back to work starting on Monday which is spooky scary and stressful. It also might mean that these check ins might be even more disordered and on random days, and I might be reading fewer books.

I say that like I read more than 2 books this week. I finished the 2 I mentioned in last week’s check-in, A Darker Shade of Magic, by V.E. Schwab, and P.S. I Still Love You, by Jenny Han. Such different vibes from these two books!

P.S. I Still Love You is super fun. It’s the sequel to To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, and it explores Lara Jean and Peter’s relationship now that they’re for real instead of just fake-dating. Very light hearted, the kind of book that’s perfect for these stressful times. I whipped through it. There are some bits that are supposed to be drama, where Lara Jean and Peter are having issues, but she’s caught up in so much stuff it doesn’t like wallow in it, so it’s not as much drama or sadness as there would be in a normal romance or even rom-com. It also might be that I’m at a point in my life where when I see teens dating and they break up I’m not upset about it because they’re teens. You know? I feel old saying that. But basically, I had a “good for her” mentality for most of it. I had also watched the Netflix movie, and one thing that I hadn’t realized from the movie that they changed from the book was John Ambrose was white in the book, but they cast a black actor for this movie. It’s actually a different actor from the first movie, so they made a conscious decision to have a black character for romance, which is so often the opposite of what they do (looking at you HP, we all see what you did with Lavender Brown). It was really refreshing.

The other book I read, A Darker Shade of Magic, for some reason I wasn’t that into. Which you might have guessed, if you’ve been keeping up with these book check-ins, because I’ve been reading it for about 3 weeks. Honestly, I don’t have a good reason for not really liking it. Like the plot was interesting, and the characters were cool, and I liked it when I was reading it, but once I put it down I didn’t really have a drive to pick it back up again. It didn’t really keep me wanting more, or wanting to find out what happened next, which was weird because like I said, the plot was interesting! Maybe it was just that it’s a little darker and I haven’t been feeling the dark books as much recently. Shit’s bad enough outside, I don’t necessarily want it in my books. It’s an interesting premise though: there are different London’s, and the main character is from “Red London” which has magic. He can travel between the London’s, there’s another with magic, our magic, and a fourth, which was closed off because its magic turned bad and ruined the city. The main character finds a magical artifact from the London that was lost, and he wants to dispose of it, put it back in the world it belongs to, but it starts wreaking havoc almost as soon as he gets his hands on it. There are sequels, and I had been planning to read them, especially because I expected the 1st book to leave some cliffhangers. But it really tied up all the loose ends, and since I didn’t love it, I probably won’t read the rest.

I’ve started 2 more books. Binti, by Nnedi Okorafor, which is pretty short so I expect to get through it really quickly, and A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman which I’m absolutely adoring so I’m already a third of the way through despite starting yesterday.

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment