Sunday, May 31, 2020

Book Check-In 5/31/20

I only read one book this week, but I am almost done with another. The book I finished was Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse.

I was really excited about this book! It’s one of the Rick Riordan Presents books, where he promotes books written by authors of different nationalities to support diversity in books and authors. His intro to this book made me very emotional. The premise is that the main character, a girl named Nizhoni, has started seeing monsters. It’s due to her ancestry, tracing back to heroes from Navajo legend. She goes on an adventure with her brother and friend to try and stop the monsters. It’s very much in the same genre as the Percy Jackson books.

This one was interesting because I don’t really know anything about Navajo legends and it was a fun way to get a little peek, although I definitely wouldn’t use this book to get a solid background. I’ll be honest though, I’ve read several books off of the Rick Riordan Presents, and this one was my least favorite. It felt more derivative than the others, and I felt a little bored with it. I might just have not been in the mood for it. It would probably also help if I were a middle schooler :). I would still recommend this book, even though I didn’t love it, especially to people in the targeted age range. And it’s still great representation. I will say, the author, Rebecca Roanhorse is native, but she isn’t Navajo. She married a Navajo man and has studied Navajo culture. I wasn’t sure how to feel about that, but in her about the author she mentioned that she has a daughter, who is (of course) Navajo, and she wanted to provide representation for her. That’s really why Rick Riordan wrote Percy Jackson, and why he expanded into the Rick Riordan Presents, so I was really glad to know that. The tradition continues.

Like I mentioned in my last check-in, I started reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I’ve nearly finished it, and have also started another book: Aru Shah and the Song of Death by Roshani Chokshi.

As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment