Oops! I'm a day late!
I didn't read very much this week. Lots of working from home, both work work and tutoring. I only finished the Trickster duology by Tamora Pierce, like I mentioned in my last check in.
I really like the Trickster duology. It follows Aly, daughter of Alanna (from our second Tortall series). She wants to do spywork but is forbidden by her family, but when she tries to avoid having her life planned by her parents, she instead gets chosen by a Trickster god to help start his revolution on an island nation. I always wish there was more than 2 books when I'm finished with it. Aly goes to some islands that hundred of years ago were conquered by white people, and since then the native people have been kept largely as slaves or lower class citizens. Aly is chosen to help a queen rise who is from the forgotten native royal family, but is also related to the white royal family. It gets close to being white savior-ish at points, but I think it does a pretty good job of staying clear. She brings new tools to an already active rebel group, although she does become the leader of said group, because she's god-picked. I am white, so people of color might think it's more of a white savior story than I do. I'd trust their voices over mine.
I really love the characters in this one, they're very rich and this one has a larger cast than some of the previous books, but they feel quite fully fleshed out, even though there are half as many books than the previous series. I also love the intrigue and plotting. Even rereading them and knowing what's going to happen, I get so excited by each new step, and I cry at the dramatic moments. These are the last of the Tortall books, and they always leave me wanting more.
I did not finish A Darker Shade of Magic this week, which I kind of expected, but I did read a little more of it. I'm not very far in it still, but I am far enough that it's pulled me in a bit. I'm curious about Kell's background, and more about how magic works in this realm. I'm excited to see where it goes.
I also started a new book: P.S. I Still Love You, by Jenny Han. This is the second in the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series (made popular by the Netflix movie). The Netflix movie for this book also just came out and I watched it and it was super cute, so I started this one before finishing A Darker Shade of Magic. Oops. Oh well, I think it's going to be a quick read.
As always, you can see all the books I've read on my reading list.
I didn't read very much this week. Lots of working from home, both work work and tutoring. I only finished the Trickster duology by Tamora Pierce, like I mentioned in my last check in.
I really like the Trickster duology. It follows Aly, daughter of Alanna (from our second Tortall series). She wants to do spywork but is forbidden by her family, but when she tries to avoid having her life planned by her parents, she instead gets chosen by a Trickster god to help start his revolution on an island nation. I always wish there was more than 2 books when I'm finished with it. Aly goes to some islands that hundred of years ago were conquered by white people, and since then the native people have been kept largely as slaves or lower class citizens. Aly is chosen to help a queen rise who is from the forgotten native royal family, but is also related to the white royal family. It gets close to being white savior-ish at points, but I think it does a pretty good job of staying clear. She brings new tools to an already active rebel group, although she does become the leader of said group, because she's god-picked. I am white, so people of color might think it's more of a white savior story than I do. I'd trust their voices over mine.
I really love the characters in this one, they're very rich and this one has a larger cast than some of the previous books, but they feel quite fully fleshed out, even though there are half as many books than the previous series. I also love the intrigue and plotting. Even rereading them and knowing what's going to happen, I get so excited by each new step, and I cry at the dramatic moments. These are the last of the Tortall books, and they always leave me wanting more.
I did not finish A Darker Shade of Magic this week, which I kind of expected, but I did read a little more of it. I'm not very far in it still, but I am far enough that it's pulled me in a bit. I'm curious about Kell's background, and more about how magic works in this realm. I'm excited to see where it goes.
I also started a new book: P.S. I Still Love You, by Jenny Han. This is the second in the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series (made popular by the Netflix movie). The Netflix movie for this book also just came out and I watched it and it was super cute, so I started this one before finishing A Darker Shade of Magic. Oops. Oh well, I think it's going to be a quick read.
As always, you can see all the books I've read on my reading list.
No comments:
Post a Comment