This week I read the three books I mentioned
in last week’s check-in:
The Cat at the Wall by Deborah Ellis, Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor, and An Enchantment of Ravens, by Margaret Rogerson.
The Cat at the Wall was a decent middle school aged book. There’s this girl who was a real brat who died and was reincarnated as a cat in Israel. She ends up in a house where 2 Israeli soldiers are camped out, along with the Palestinian child who’s house it is. It switches between her ruminating on her life as a human, and this teacher who she hated, and the problem of this child in the house with two soldiers, when his parents aren’t coming back. It wasn’t great, but it was pretty interesting.
Binti: Home was kind of boring, in my opinion. Binti has been struggling with anger, so she decides to return home, but once there, she realizes how out of place she is and she realizes there’s a lot she didn’t know about her family. She learns she’s connected to a different group of people besides just the Himba, and she goes to learn about their culture and finds out that they had been visited by aliens centuries ago, which left them with powerful technology. It felt like only half a book to me. It was a cool idea, but it felt unrealized. There wasn’t very much plot to it, so I didn’t love it. I’m not planning to read the 3rd book.
I really liked An Enchantment of Ravens. It’s been a while since I’ve read any books with Fae in them. This one was really good. At the end I was like, “okay, where’s the next book, I want more.“ It’s about a girl who grew up in Whimsy, a town that’s adjacent to Faerieland that’s in constant summer and in constant contact with Fae. They come to Whimsy because they crave human Craft. Our protagonist is a portrait artist. The book starts with one of her frequent patrons telling her that he’s recommended the Autumn Prince get his portrait painted by her. She ends up painting him in a way that he doesn’t like, which whirls her into trouble. I really loved this and would recommend it to anybody who likes some of that Dark Fantasy or books with Fae. I think fans of Holly Black would love this one.
I’ve started 2 more books: Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.
As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
The Cat at the Wall was a decent middle school aged book. There’s this girl who was a real brat who died and was reincarnated as a cat in Israel. She ends up in a house where 2 Israeli soldiers are camped out, along with the Palestinian child who’s house it is. It switches between her ruminating on her life as a human, and this teacher who she hated, and the problem of this child in the house with two soldiers, when his parents aren’t coming back. It wasn’t great, but it was pretty interesting.
Binti: Home was kind of boring, in my opinion. Binti has been struggling with anger, so she decides to return home, but once there, she realizes how out of place she is and she realizes there’s a lot she didn’t know about her family. She learns she’s connected to a different group of people besides just the Himba, and she goes to learn about their culture and finds out that they had been visited by aliens centuries ago, which left them with powerful technology. It felt like only half a book to me. It was a cool idea, but it felt unrealized. There wasn’t very much plot to it, so I didn’t love it. I’m not planning to read the 3rd book.
I really liked An Enchantment of Ravens. It’s been a while since I’ve read any books with Fae in them. This one was really good. At the end I was like, “okay, where’s the next book, I want more.“ It’s about a girl who grew up in Whimsy, a town that’s adjacent to Faerieland that’s in constant summer and in constant contact with Fae. They come to Whimsy because they crave human Craft. Our protagonist is a portrait artist. The book starts with one of her frequent patrons telling her that he’s recommended the Autumn Prince get his portrait painted by her. She ends up painting him in a way that he doesn’t like, which whirls her into trouble. I really loved this and would recommend it to anybody who likes some of that Dark Fantasy or books with Fae. I think fans of Holly Black would love this one.
I’ve started 2 more books: Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.
As always, you can see all the books I’ve read on my reading list.
No comments:
Post a Comment